Wednesday 16 May 2007

swatchtastic


The stripes have come out really well and the Witch colourway is really nice, but I'm not sure it will be suitable for my pal! Though she does say 'go wild'... hmm. I think it will look really nice in the Monkey pattern or something similar. I'm also quite tempted by Conwy or something else from Knitting On the Road by Nancy Bush. I am having second thoughts about these patterns thought - purling in the round is something I don't enjoy, I suffer from 'rowing out' usually anyway and my purls in the round tend to be a bit loose. Maybe I will try knitting combined or continental to avoid that, would be a good opportunity to learn! But it might well take me till August to do one sock, let alone both... ribbing is supposed to be quicker though, isn't it?

She has also said she wouldn't mind knee socks, but as the red and brown is 100% wool, I'm not sure knee socks would stay up. The Witch is 75/25. Maybe if I did the whole leg in rib? Would I go blind/mad?

In other sock news, the silk Regias I made for my friend J's father fit him fine and he is very pleased with them. Phew!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Purling in the round isn't my favorite thing to do either! Yuck!

I think and entire leg of ribbing (on a knee sock) would drive me nuts; but then 2" of ribbing is too much for me :-)

Glad to hear the silk Regias fit your friend's father. I KNOW they are soft, soft, soft.

Chelsea said...

I am trying to teach myself combined knitting right now. I learned to carry my yarn English style and it's hard to switch to holding my yarn with my left hand. I can knit fairly well and am knitting a scarf to practice combined knitting. I hate purling in the round too. I don't know why